Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Please Stop Laughing at Me by Jodee Blanco

This story tore to the core of my heart. I was appalled to read the treatment that this young woman endured, some of which under the noses of other Christian adults. I myself was lucky enough to have never experienced bullying to this extent. I certainly had my share of teasing, but it pales in comparision to this.

This story opened my eyes to what I can and should do as a teacher. Students won't tell me everything. Nor will my interference necessarily help the child in the short term. But, I must still have the courage and understanding to know that children can be cruel to each other in their race for acceptance. As a young teacher, I hope to be the person who will encourage children to know that they are loved, and that competition is not necessary, and only wastes time, energy, and skill.

This book is not for the faint of heart. For those who ignore bullying, who are the bullies, or who assume that this sort of treatment has been removed from the lives of youngsters will be thrown out of their comfort zone. There are far too many people today who assume that their thoughts, words, and actions, if said behind the back or with majority support, will not affect the victim. They are wrong, and I think this is the book that will show them how long and how far their words can stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment